I am a Lecturer (roughly equivalent to Assistant Professor) in Artificial Intelligence at the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, Queen Mary University of London (UK). I am also a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute (UK) and an Academic Fellow at the Digital Environment Research Institute, QMUL in 2021/2022. I co-lead the Machine Listening Lab at the Centre for Digital Music, QMUL.
Before I was a Lecturer at the School of Computing, University of Kent (UK) and a postdoctoral researcher in the CIBIM lab at the Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford (UK), working with Prof. Maarten De Vos. I obtained my PhD (Dr.-Ing. in German system) with summa cum laude in the Institute for Signal Processing, University of Lübeck (Germany) under the supervision of Prof. Alfred Mertins. I received the Bernd Fischer Award for the best PhD thesis from the University of Lübeck. In 2021, I was awarded Benelux’s IEEE-EMBS Best Paper Award 2019-20.
I investigate topics in the fields of machine learning/deep learning and signal processing. I am particularly interested in speech/audio analysis, biosignal analysis, and healthcare applications.
My CV is available here.
I am looking for self-motivated students for three full PhD scholarships in Computer Science, two China Scholarship Council (CSC) Scholarships and one UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Artificial Intelligence and Music (AIM) scholarship, working on the following topics:
- Multitask modelling for overlapping sound sources (AIM), deadline 31st January 2022
- Personalized scientific-grading sleep monitoring in home environments (CSC), deadline 31st March 2022
- Discourse structure recognition for broadcast summarisation (CSC, jointly working with Prof. Matthew Purver), deadline 31st March 2022
Please visit HERE for the description of the projects. If you are interested in applying, please get in touch with me via email.
For more PhD opportunities at the Machine Listening lab, please visit HERE
For More PhD opportunities at AIM CDT, please visit HERE
- 21 Jan 2022: (New) Two papers accepted to IEEE ICASSP 2022.
- 17 Dec 2021: (New) I have been elected as member in the Technical Area Committee (TAC) in Biomedical Image & Signal Analytics (BISA), the European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP), term 2022-2024.
- 18 Aug 2021: (New) I have been appointed Turing Fellow by the Alan Turing Institute in 2021/2022.
- 25 Mar 2021: (New) XSleepNet paper accepted in IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI)
- 29 Jan 2021: (New) SeqSleepNet paper awarded Benelux’s IEEE-EMBS Best Paper Award 2019-20